By guest blogger Lynn Power
If you’re like most guys I know, you probably don’t think too much about your haircare routine. You’ve likely been using the same shampoo for years. Maybe you like that you can also use it on your body or your face (eliminating the need to think about soap). Or maybe you like the manly scent. Or you like the convenience of being able to buy it at CVS or your local grocery store.
While we’re fans of keeping things simple too, it’s actually time that you evolved your haircare routine.
Did you know that your product in the blue bottle is likely filled with toxic ingredients? Here are five things that will make you rethink what you’re using every day.
1) 90% of mass haircare products in the U.S. are formulated with toxic ingredients – sulfates (the detergent that causes suds in shampoo) parabens and phthalates. Sulfates can cause irritation, allergies and dermatitis on your scalp. You don’t want to be rubbing sulfates on your scalp (one of the most absorbent parts of your body) so start reading the ingredient lists to avoid products with sulfates. A common one is sodium lauryte sulfate (SLS).
2) Most mass shampoo and conditioners are benefit driven (you have to choose moisturizing, shiny hair, healthy hair, volume or more). This is a way for the manufacturers to secure maximum shelf space but it’s not customer friendly and why I will see men (and women too!) standing looking confused in front of the haircare shelf in store. You really shouldn’t have to choose – the best haircare products (like MASAMI) will do it all. You need simplicity and efficacy, not more products.
3) Hydration helps prevent breakage – and hair that’s thinning (and dry) can be brittle. If your hair is thinning, then you will want to take extra care to use products that hydrate and don’t dry out your hair. Avoid alcohol in your haircare (especially your styling products). Also while towel drying your hair is probably your norm, just make sure you are not too aggressive – this is a major cause of breakage too.
4) Many guys shower more than once a day, especially if you’re back at the gym. But did you know that hot showers can actually dry out hair and make it brittle? Plus the steam can leave your scalp dry and itchy. Most guys don’t need to wash their hair every day either, you can probably get away with 3 or 4 times a week. Washing strips some of your hair’s natural oils. So resist the routine of washing your hair every time you shower.
5) If the above facts don’t change your mind, this one might. Phthalates are also present in most haircare products with scent – and can wreak havoc on your endocrine system and can even shrink your junk. Yes, you read that correctly. Phthalates have been proven to shrink men’s genitals. This one is trickier to spot because companies don’t need to call out what’s in their fragrances – and that’s where phthalates can lurk. Look for products that say they are phthalate free to be sure.
Start to think of your hair as an investment in looking and feeling your best. While high performing haircare products do cost a bit more than the gallon of “detergent” you’ve been using, you should be able to notice the difference in your hair almost immediately (and other people will notice too). So get on board with detoxing your haircare routine and keep those locks healthier longer. Plus once you move to clean products, you’re also helping the environment. It’s a win-win!
About Lynn Power:
Lynn was formerly the CEO of J. Walter Thompson NY and has worked on advertising and marketing for many beauty brands throughout her career including L'Oreal, Nexxus and Clinique. Lynn is currently the Co-Founder and CEO of MASAMI, a clean, premium haircare brand with a Japanese ocean botanical that’s all about weightless hydration for all hair types (and men too!). Follow MASAMI at @lovemasamihair or learn more at www.lovemasami.com. And while you’re there, sign up for the newsletter to stay informed of the latest haircare and clean beauty trends.